Friday, August 26, 2016

ELDERBERRY JELLY AND STEERS!

What a wonderful day today is!

The sky is blue, clouds are fluffy white, leaves are still green and life is awesome!

Do you not say, "There are yet four months, then comes the harvest?" Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest.
John 4:35


I got the elderberries off of the stem.

They look good!


Getting them rinsed!

Got all the ingredients in the pot and letting it cook.

Getting the elderberry jelly ladled out into hot jars.
Kaitlin, my lovely assistant helps get seals and rings on them.


I know I take lots of photos of the sky. We do a lot of things outside and the sky usually determines what to do first or last. Like today, I was gonna do the water bath outside. I just don't want to start and it down pours. So plan B!

I will water bath in the house. Since these are smaller jars I used a small pan. I did put a rag at the bottom. This is so the jars don't touch the pan. I did it in two batches because I was worried the jars would bang together while the water was boiling.

Either way the job got done.
Five and a half jelly jars!

We all did have a taste of this and,
It was YUMMY!


Hubby got home and no rain yet. Skylar was making dinner. So that left me to work along side my awesome husband. On the way out of the barn I capture the animals just being animals.

Butcher day is fast approaching. We don't have the date picked out yet. But we know we need to within 2 weeks.

We need to move the steers again. They are really liking moving from paddock to paddock. I don't blame them, fresh grass!
Got the supplies we need and now we just need to run it.


Tim walking the line down to the other fence line.

Got the line ran from one end to the other end section off this piece.


This section just past the wire - It's gonna be sectioned off into two more paddocks.

In this picture you see where the steers are and look farther out you can see where they have been.
It amazes me how quickly the grass recovers after they have been on it. We keep moving them and they keep it mowed down.
You can see they are watching us. They know what is coming and they love it. These big powerful creatures are playful and get excited. They holler for lots of reasons. We are gonna miss them when they go. Its getting closer to auction time.



A wild flower that just randomly grows up.
My job might take me awhile, but I do get it done.

Now attaching the wire to make it live. Right now the fence is off so we can do the work.

Chicks taking their dust bath.
Those kittens look like statues in this picture.



Feeding time!
Skylar made dinner and there was lots of broth leftover. So we try not to waste and offered it to the animals. Its good for all of us included the animals. I have lots of already canned chicken broth in the pantry. I also have 4 bags of chicken bones in the freezer. 

And in the morning, "It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening." You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
Matthew 16:3



Tim moving the steers onto the next paddock.
I could hear them running and chewing on the new grass. Its a good feeling to do good to our animals. Its not all about just feeding them and giving water. We care about them.









No comments:

Post a Comment