Sunday, January 8, 2017

STILL HATCHING CHICKS!

Sassy-Pants is still doing good. It's been so cold and she is caring for both the eggs that haven't hatched and trying to teach the young ones what they need to be doing. Being a first timer for all this she is AMAZING!


Sassy-Pants has 7 babies and one did die. Not sure of the reason.
 I also removed one egg that wasn't gonna hatch.
I made a big decision on removing the last 6 eggs to allow her to concentrate on the babies. We have been hatching since December 26th through January 5th. That is a big span. 


This picture is her looking for the eggs I removed. I felt bad but also know she needs to still care for the ones that need her the most. I felt the eggs and they were so cold. I decided to just try them in the incubator and probably nothing will come of it.

This is just amazing!

We have a hatching chick. These eggs were so cold. No warmth to them. I wouldn't of thought any to hatch.

This little one made so much noise and was finally glad to have it's head out of the shell.

We have a naked neck baby chick (on the right-side).

This little baby was the first to hatch inside. She is meeting her mother for the first time. 


See the big black chick. 
There is a story with this one. Tuesday afternoon Skylar brings me a dead baby chick in. It feels so cold and dead. I start rubbing it like I am petting it. I am sad and start talking to it. Skylar is still holding this little chick in her hand. Next thing you know this little chick perks its head straight up. She is like "what did you do?" I am like not sure but it might just be the nerves spasming. Within an hour this little chick who we thought was dead is alive. Bouncing around and chirping.  I had cold eggs that are hatching and a cold chick who looked dead and is alive.
Life is amazing!

Life with 10 chicks and soon to be adding the last baby chick to her world.


See the little chick on the right. I just took the last baby chick (#11) out to their mother. This little one has a lot to learn. She is so small.
The other chicks are so far advance from her. She doesn't even know to nestle up to her mother. She will be learning real soon.

One week makes a difference. See the size difference!

Sassy-Pants showing the little ones some food.
She has all 11 baby chicks with her. 

This picture is so precious. Almost everytime I go out to check on them, this little one is jumping on mom's back. 

There are 3 yellow chicks (one of them is a naked-neck chick), one brown, and seven black ones. Not sure yet what kind they are. We will have to wait until they grow some more. It was fun for Kaitlin and I to go back to the other babies and see who the dad is and who the mom could be. This batch was a lot of black ones. I really hope some black copper marans are in this batch.


No comments:

Post a Comment