Thursday, June 9, 2016

Getting Chickens Moved and More Chickens

So only days into closing and not even staying at our new house.......

I go and get baby chickens, a rooster and meat chickens. Got to get them started so they can grow and start laying us some eggs right? So I came home with 4 chicks, 1 rooster, and 10 meat chickens.

Ok I have a little secret and people are starting to find out. I have a addiction to chickens. So a few weeks later I went and got more to add to our homestead. I added 14 more. But, I have such a wonderful husband and he brings home 3 more baby chicks, 5 guineas, and 2 turkeys. We also moved our older laying hens here on the homestead. 

We brought the coop we built that they stayed in at our son and daughter in laws house. They love it here and love roaming around. So much more room then they had before.


Our tote full of pooping chicks. Our production Red who loved to watch me in the kitchen and see who is coming in the door.


We housed all of the chickens inside since it was cold and rainy, with the exception for our meat chickens (they lasted less than a week).  The house had a shed here and used before for a coop. It needed to be cleaned and had tons of mud daubers nest. We cleaned it up and got it set up with bedding, water, food and a heat light. Now that is much better them out their with the smell and not in the house. Of course it doesn't take long before we rearrange the shed to house the rest of the baby chicks. The chick in the picture loved sitting on the edge, I didn't mind just don't poop on my floors. I woke up one morning with a few chickens roaming around. That was their last day staying in the house.

Ok a few exceptions. We had a mishap with 4 chicks and had to bring back inside and stayed overnight.  

The meat chicks 
(Cornish-Cross)


Aren't they soooo CUTE!

Silver-laced Wyandotte 



The girls must check out everything



 My chickens are greeting me


 The Meaties are getting too big for this space

Had to move meaties outside to make room for more baby chicks

 The Hens are checking out the meaties 









No comments:

Post a Comment