Monday, June 27, 2016

Alpaca Sheering


Field Trip For 4-H Knitting Class
By: Kaitlin



My mother, my sister and me, went to see Alpacas's get sheared!
We went around the end of April. I am in 4-H so this year I took
Knitting, my knitting teacher invited the class to come and learn
about where the yarn comes from.........  



 In this picture the Alpaca shearers are setting up, 
the Alpaca's in the back are females they keep the
male and female Alpaca's separate so they don't 
constantly breed.


 In this picture the shearer's are taking off the 'bedding'
the top coat they shear it's the yarn material.
The bottom coat is rug making material it's rougher.


Notice the ropes on the Alpaca's front and back legs?
It's so the shearer's don't get kicked! The male Alpaca's
get their teeth ground down, because they grow to long,
when their sheared that's another reason to strap them down.
Anyways, once you take the fiber that was sheared off you spin it
meaning you use a spinning wheel or drop spindle to make it into
yarn, then it's ready to use!

Hope you learned something,



No comments:

Post a Comment