Thursday, March 30, 2017

HOMEMADE COUGH SYRUP!

Today is the day to make some homemade cough syrup.
My daughter has a bad cough. It's due to allergies but her cough doesn't help her sore throat. I have all the supplies to make it and my little granddaughter wants to help.

Ingredients:
Whiskey
Honey or Sorghum
Let me explain a couple of things. I really like honey but I prefer not to use it in this recipe. My reason is that I don't like to heat my honey if I don't need too. So sorghum is the preferred in this recipe. Either will work.
 Also using the two ingredients you will use the 1:1 ratio.
With all that being said lets get the rest of the items needed to make this.
One whole lemon
6 pieces of Horehound candy

Supplies needed:
A empty bottle big enough to hold the cough syrup
(I used an empty syrup jar but a mason jar can work too)
Mortar & Pestle (this helps to break up the horehound candy)
Lemon squeezer
Measuring cup
Pot
Funnel (not pictured)


I got the horehound candy crushed.


Lemon is squeezed.


I used a little less than 1/2 cup of each; whiskey and sorghum. I measured my empty bottle to make sure my syrup will fit when it is done.


Pour all ingredients into the pot.
Heat on low heat and stir, stir, and stir.


Reminder again to keep stirring the pot. Make sure all is melted and keep stirring well after melting has occurred. This makes sure all is melted and stirred together.


Have your jar and funnel ready.


Once it is all melted and stirred well pour into jar.


Homemade cough syrup!

RECIPE FOR OLD TIMERS COUGH SYRUP

1/2 cup Whiskey
1/2 cup Sorghum/or Honey
1 - Lemon (squeezed)
6 - pieces of Horehound candy (crushed real fine)

Heat on low heat. Stir, stir and stir until well melted and blended.
Store in a glass bottle.

How to use: 1 T. adult
1 tspn children over 5
Take at night before bed.

Just a side note, I am not a doctor nor claim to be. This is what I make and use for my family. Just want to share with others who might be interested in alternative medicine than the modern medicine. Also, do your own research.

If you have recipes you use please share. I would love to know what works for your family.


No comments:

Post a Comment