Thursday, September 19, 2019

WHAT TO DO WITH A WHOLE CHICKEN #1

I get a lot of questions on what to do with a whole chicken.
I am gonna be posting several recipes of what I do with our chickens. Whether a whole or parted chicken. We raise our own chickens here on our farm. We butcher them ourselves. Not only do we put up enough chicken for our family, we also sell chicken to people around us. Check out our farm website Burnt Fork Farm.

I have 2 recipes here that I used one whole chicken. I cooked my chicken whole in a pot of water. Added tons of seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, and oregano. I let it boil for 2 to 3 hours until it's done. I take it out of the pot and let it cool. Once it is cooled enough to touch, I start removing the meat from the bone. I then take half and place in a bowl and put in the refrigerator. The other half I use for this recipe.

*** Just to let you know I have also been known to cook the whole chicken the day before I need it. I will let it cool and put in the refrigerator until the next day. Then I will take off how ever much chicken I need for a recipe.

Chicken Salsa Pasta Salad
I used:
1/2 of a whole chicken cut up in bite size pieces
1 can rinsed pinto beans (I can my own)
1 bag of Rotini Noodles cooked and cold
2-3 tomatoes, chopped
2-3 peppers/banana peppers diced up
1/2 or medium onion, diced

For the sauce I used:
1-2 cups Salsa (I can my own and used the whole quart jar)
1/2-1 teaspoon salt (I used 1 teaspoon)
1/2-1 teaspoon cumin (I used 1 heapingish teaspoon)

Add in as much cilantro as you want.
Mix it all together.
This is served cold. Super Yummy and great to serve on a really hot day after being outside.

Enjoy!!

Chicken Bake
I used:
1 bag of cooked egg noodles, set aside
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup flour
1-2 cans of chicken broth
2 cans of cream of chicken
2 cups of chicken in bite size pieces (I used the other half of my already cooked chicken)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a pot, saute onions in butter, mix flour and water and add to the pot until smooth and a little thick. Add broth, cream of chicken and noodles. At this point you can add salt and pepper to taste.

Add in cooked chicken and stir it well to mix together everything.
You should have some liquid, but not soupy.

Place all of it in a greased casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 

*** Just to let you know there are times I make a double batch. I cook one and freeze the other one. To freeze it, don't bake it. I put clear wrap over it then aluminum foil over it. Don't forget to write what it is over the top of it and baking instructions. When ready to bake it, set it out for 3-5 hours or in refrigerator the night before.

I did bake some homemade french bread to serve with our dinner.
Super yummy and I do make this in the summer time. It is an easy meal to make.

Enjoy!!!

Dutch Oven Whole Chicken with Veggies
I make this one a lot. It's super easy for me. I throw it all in a pot and put it in the oven and in 2 hours it's done! Easy meal!!!

1 whole chicken, dried including the inside (I use paper towels to dry)
Season the chicken bottom side: salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper
Top side: salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, marjoram, oregano, paprika
(I do coat heavy)
Place in dutch oven

Start adding in layers:
Potatoes (I cut mine lengthwise)
Carrots cut
1-2 onions quartered
2-3 garlic cloves chopped/minced

Once all that is added let's add some more seasonings:
Salt, garlic powder, marjoram, thyme, parsley
Add a couple of tablespoons or so of butter
I did add some small pieces of dehydrated garlic on the top.
I don't add any water or liquid to this. The juice will come from the bones as it cooks.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 2 hours.

Enjoy!!

This is 3 recipes I have so far. I plan on putting out more recipes for you all to enjoy. 


If you get tired, learn to rest, not quit!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment