Friday, August 11, 2017

CANNING DAY 3!

Road Trip!

I was hungry for some homemade Peach Jam.
So, the girls and I headed..... yep some direction and miles later. I am not good with directions. Check out what we got.

Some super big peppers, strawberry-rhubarb preserves (cuz I know I won't get any made this year), and some eat now Peaches.
Why are they called eat now Peaches? Because, if I don't buy extra they will and I mean will eat into the batch I need to make some homemade Peach Jam.

Here they are. Doesn't it make your mouth water just hearing the words "Peach Jam"?!

Kaitlin helped put the X on the bottoms of the peaches.

Skylar helped to put in the water for 60 seconds.

Such wonderful helpers.
They peeled the skins off.

And removed the pit.

I got them all sliced and chopped.

We made a double batch so we added 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Next, I added 7 cups of sugar. Sounds like a lot but, this is a super big batch and this is a big bowl.

Once the sugar is added give it a stir and let it set for 30 minutes.

This is what it will look like in 30 minutes.

Pour it into a big pot and bring it to a full boil. Once you are there let it continue to cook for 10-15 minutes. When the timer goes off, it is ready to start putting the jam into the jars.

Put them in a pot to water bathe for 10 minutes.

Skylar is wiping off the rims to put the seals and rings on the jars.

First batch is done.

Second batch is done.

Third batch is done.

Last batch is done.
26 jars of homemade Peach Jam.
We already tasted it and it is delicious!

The recipe came from my new book.
Saving the Season by Kevin West

My homemade Strawberry Jam recipe came from the same book.
That recipe can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment