Thursday, August 10, 2017

CANNING DAY 1!

The girls and I are gonna try a different recipe to can some tomatoes. (Crushed Canned Tomatoes)
 We will try and see if we like it. Come along with us.

I cored the tomatoes first then,
I placed the tomatoes in boiling water for 60 seconds.
Now the girls are peeling the skins off of them. The next job was to cut/dice them up. It's really hard to take pictures with very messy tomato hands. This is a very messy job.

So this is what it looks like.
I added salt and lemon juice. I normally use vinegar.

We are ready to start putting it in the jars.

Skylar and Kaitlin helped get jars sealed and rings on them.


We took the jars outside to water bathe them.
Now we wait for the water to heat up.

And now it is done!
I don't think I will water bathe them as long as I did this time. The recipe said 45 minutes. I think I will try 20 minutes for quarts instead. 

Do you have any tomato canning recipes?
Please share in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment