Tuesday, August 27, 2019

HOMESTEADING LIFE CONFERENCE!

It is that time again this year for the 
HOMESTEADING LIFE CONFERENCE
in Hannibal, Missouri.

Tim and I arrived at our hotel and got checked in. I will have to admit the first room they put us in had a horrible smell. I am not sure what the smell was in the room. But I was worried about it soaking into our clothes in the suitcase. It was really that bad.
The new room they gave us actually smelled clean.

Tim and I had dinner at Drakes Steak & Ale.

Tim is saying all I need is a beer now.

His wish was granted. Yes that is all his dinner.
He did eat it all too.


My husband likes his ribs. That is something I don't really make is ribs. I really don't care for them. Since I do the cooking I get to choose. lol

Day 1 of the conference
Doug and Stacy with Off-Grid with Doug and Stacy
They were giving us the run down for today's events and announcements.

YouTube Off Grid with Doug and Stacy can be found here

Natural Bee Keeping that works with Dr. Leo Sharashkin.
We heard him speak last year. We ended up making our bee boxes and swarm traps from his plans. Tim also has contacted him because he had questions. Dr. Leo is full of information and very helpful. We enjoyed his class again.

The setup this year was done a little different from last year.
Last year they had small classes inside the lobby area that turned into big classes. This year they blocked part of the road off and setup a tent for another classroom.
This class was Predator Control for Homesteaders with Jason Rohr.
We went to his both later and spoke with him as we had some questions. Super nice guy.

Being Sick or Healthy. It's your choice with Dr. Henderson.
This guy was awesome to listen to. I later went to his booth and bought his book Why America is Sick. He signed it with a note personally to me. I have emailed him and he has already responded back. Another great speaker.

Tim and I out for a lunch break at Finn's.
We had fish and chips.

A Natural Approach to Animal Health and Useful Options on the Homestead with Dr. Gary Nie.
I took lots of notes from this speaker. So glad we got to hear it.
A lot of useful information to take with us.

Back again this year is Flower Toomey.
Blending Modern Medicine with Herbal Medicine.
Lots of notes from this class too. I would love to hang out with her for a week. She really knows her herbs.


This is the 2nd year of the conference and our 2nd time coming.
It has already doubled from last year.

It was great to meet up with friends from last year and meet new ones this year. All these people that we have so many things in common with.


Lots of vendors to check out.

Processing Elderberries and Live Demonstration with Terry Durham.
This is the guy to ask any and all questions Elderberry.
We did buy another plant. 


They have a Q&A with the speakers.

After the conference we headed over to the Mark Twain Boat for our dinner and a cruise. 

Last year Doug and Stacy set aside a number of tickets. Some didn't get to attend last year as it sold out but was still open to the public. This year Doug and Stacy rented to whole thing allowing more to come. Once again it was sold out.
But this time it was all the homesteaders on the boat.


The Mississippi River


Tim and I were having so much fun visiting with everyone.


Water levels were so high at one point that a tree was caught on the bridge.

Perfect weather to be out and the food was good.

Tim and I even had a dance.
What a special evening.

The boat is coming back to dock.

The upper deck.


The evening to Day 1.
We got back to our hotel room and had to change rooms.
We don't even want to explain why but we know when we go back next year we won't be staying there again.

Day 2 of our conference
Doug and Stacy making announcements and greetings.


Sour Dough Start to Finish with Patti Alderman
She was a joy to talk with. I bought her dehydrated sour dough starter and her book. 


Growing Elderberry for Health and Profit with Terry Durham.

Tim and I had lunch with some friends (Stephanie & Josh) at the Planters Hotel and Restaurant.

Natural Cleaning Solutions with Dorene Glenn

Stacy had back to back classes.
Homemade Chicken Feed Soy Free and Making Cultured Mustard and Ketchup.
I enjoyed both classes and took lots of notes.
We finished up our conference and exchanged information with many new friends. 

After the conference several people headed to Fiddlestiks to have dinner before heading either back home or hotel for another night.

New friends we made was David & Alice. So glad to have met them. They are a wonderful couple working hard on their homestead. We shared tons of stories and helpful advice. I wished they lived closer than they do. But a friendship was formed and we will see them soon. They have their own YouTube channel Savvy Organics Farm found here.

We had about a 3 hour drive home and it was already getting late when we left Hannibal. The trip was amazing and so much information. 
We are already looking forward to 2020's conference.

Had to share what was on my dresser when I got home.
I missed my kids. Kaitlin is so sweet to leave me notes. 
Glad to be back home!! 💗

Savvy Organics Farm interviewed us


Check out the video and don't forget to thumbs it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment