Monday, January 8, 2024

Our Cows are Destructive!!

Tim got a call that our cows have torn up our gate in the back pasture.

I know it  may seem simple to just go and fix the gate. We weren't sure how bad the gate was torn up.  Our neighbor said he didn't think they would get out since his hay bales were in the way but they could slip in between and could get out. We decided to chance it and leave to go watch our granddaughters winter Christmas performance. Fingers crossed and we prayed a ton.

As soon as we got home we changed and gathered up our supplies. We headed to the back pasture in the dark as we are in winter hours. Either way it would've of been dark. We checked the pasture and our cattle was still on our property. We got lucky. Thank you God!!! 
So in the dark Tim and I put posts in the ground and ran an electrical line. This keeps them separate from the gate and far enough back that they shouldn't get out.

Yep that is a metal gate that they just ripped apart.
It didn't help that the neighbor put his hay all the way up to our gate. 
If you were wondering if they were eating that hay? They sure were and they tore apart the gate getting to it once they couldn't reach it. Amazing how powerful these animals are.

About a good 1/4 of our neighbors haybale was eaten. He did say maybe he shouldn't put it that close.
I hope in the future he doesn't. Looks like this is an area we will need to fix soon. UGH! 
But for tonight it's good enough.

Since we were already in the back pasture Tim decided to bring them a bale of hay.

They happily followed him.
It was so dark and the stars were out. It was cold and I kept hearing something behind me. I turned and with my flashlight saw 4 deer. It's amazing how my cows are all around wild creatures all through the night.

Sorry the pictures are blurry. Night pictures seem to get a little blurry for some reason.

I have been told before:
If you have cows you have problems!!

I think I now know what that means, lol


 

No comments:

Post a Comment