Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Weekend Projects #2


Another weekend of super nice weather. We are sure making good use of it while we can.
I don't like doing much outside work when it's cold out.

Out checking fencing and cattle with this handsome man!!

The cattle didn't come to us. We looked over the edge and they were there.

It doesn't look like it on the photo, but it's a long way down.

Cattle is good.
Fencing is good.

I took this picture from the fence line of our Vineyard. I can't even see the fence to the other side.
It's huge!!

(To the left is our over grown with weeds strawberry patch and to the right is our thornless blackberries)

I finally got around to ordering my fall garlic. I think it grows best in our area in the fall vs. doing it in the spring. I got it ready for planting but the area I want to plant it in the big garden has the broken raised beds full of summertime dead weeds. UGH!!

I splurged this year and bought some shallots to plant for the fall too.
I have never grown them before so this is a new adventure. I did a little research at least on how to plant them. Fingers crossed this grows!! lol

I had some errands to run so Tim got started on preparing the bed.
Meaning to take out the 2 raised beds that started to fall apart and remove all the extra dirt.
He did tell me to take my time while I was out. I really went slow in hopes that it would all be done. I got back to the beds almost ready for planting.

Tim worked on getting the beds laid with mulch.



We planted 136 garlic cloves.

It took up almost 2 beds.

Our friends gave us wild garlic seeds. We were told to grow them in the spring.

Ya know us we needed to try and see if they will work for the fall.
Why not?!

Next up for planting is the shallots.

We planted 32 of them.
Our onions did so well this year so I thought why not shallots. They can be planted sooner.
I was researching and was told that the frost helps them to split, hence giving them multiple heads. I thought that was interesting. Learning so much out here on our farm. It's a big school room with hands on everyday.

I gave them a good watering and we should be good until next spring.
Sounds easy enough. Stay tuned!

We are so blessed!!
As we stand back and look at our garden and our hard work. We are just so blessed beyond measures of the bounty full we grew this year. I am so happy to be doing this with one of the hardest working men I know. He works 50+ hours and comes home to work either in our garden or a house project.
BLESSED I am!!

This was another late into our weekend project that we needed to do but had been putting off.
I really don't know if I want to give the full details of this long ongoing project yet. 

Short story:
Basically a FULL remodel of our existing outside of our house.
Started with excavating all the way to our foundation.

** Note we removed our deck and are only able to use one door to come in and out.

We are burying our downspouts. Tim is working on getting the ground level.
We decided on using the grates making it easier to clean out for later. We have lots of leaves and we don't want our piping getting clogged.

Making some process. We have pieces glued.

We are so glad to have this section filled with dirt. It's been a moat most of this summer. We had a lot of rain making this project longer. I know I haven't been the only one praying not to drop the keys while unlocking our front door. It isn't bad now vs. how it was.

Tim adding more dirt to get it to the height he needs it to be to properly drain away from the house.

Tim making sure the angle is right with the downspout.

Daylight is almost gone. I turned on our porch light and grabbed our flashlight.
Not liking this daylight savings thing and it gets dark at 5pm. It just sucks!!!

Getting the last piece glued and things cleaned up. We are a few supplies short of finishing this side.
Not sure if we will get this complete before the snow comes.

Living life and enjoying family!!!












 

No comments:

Post a Comment