Sunday, November 19, 2023

Preparing for Winter


The evening skies have just been so beautiful. It's like out of a painting.
We can feel the chill in the air. Fall is fast approaching. So, Tim and I have been working on getting the farm ready for fall into winter.

The dogs have a shed that they have been staying in whenever they want.
We got their heated waterer set up for them.

We put a bale of hay inside the shed for them to curl up and stay warm.
I do wonder how often they will use it.

We got all the chickens gathered up and in the henhouse.
We laid down pine shavings and put alfalfa hay in the corner. They have a heated waterer. We are waiting on the second one to come. 
We got all the tarps off the chicken tractors and all the accessories put up until next spring.

Not pictured, they guineas are in a coop to themselves. They are pretty mean to the chickens in a smaller space. The guineas were free ranging and since we got the new puppy Faith, they have been harder to catch. We finally, after weeks and getting a few at a time, got them all together.
We don't like to let them loose in the winter as they like to roost on metal and freeze their feet off. Yes for some reason these crazy faced birds like to do that.

Next up ----- Cleaning up the garden and the hoop house.

It took me 2 days to get the garden area ready for winter.
(not pictured)

Inside the hoop house all the buckets were full of dead plants. We had a hard freeze and tomatoes don't like that. I did get the tomatoes removed before the freeze just not the plants. It was less important at the time. It took me a day to get it all cleaned and ready for fall planting. I know my fall planting is late going in but I'm gonna give a try.

I brought in my rosemary and tarragon.

Finally day 3 I was able to plant some lettuces, broccoli, and swiss chard.

They are planted. I have been so exhausted in getting it all cleaned up to get to the point of planting more. I have no idea it they will even grow. This is my first hoop house and we are going through the winter together. If it grows, wonderful. If it doesn't grow, I will learn something. It is worth trying than to of not.

I have been reflecting back on this garden in the past several years.

1. Our first year it wasn't in this spot
2. By the 3rd year we were fencing this area out. It had so much grass in it and clay.
3. When we started growing in our big garden it was so difficult to keep the weeds down. Our produce was being taken over and it grew taller than me in some areas.
4. By the time we put row covers down, we needed to redo the septic system. 
5. Last year I grew out of 4 rows vs. this year was 17 rows and a hoop house.

Our garden this year grew and produced so much for our family. I am so thankful and grateful for all the help to get us here.



There is something so special in the early leaves
drifting from the trees - as if we are to be allowed a 
chance to peel, 
to refresh, to start again.

~Ruth Ahmed

No comments:

Post a Comment