Wednesday, February 27, 2019

WINTER CANNING DAYS!!

I know most people can things in the summer. But I like to can the things that can wait until those winter days when not much is happening, except for what's happening in our kitchen. Which lately seems to be very busy making yummy meals and some canning too.


We are still getting snow.


The girls and I still get out and take our walks. It's harder to walk in deep snow. It gives us a good work out.

CANNING BROTH
I have been saving all of my chicken bones, carrot ends, and celery.

I did add more carrots, garlic and 2 whole onions sliced in quarters.

I added herbs and salt. I will let this slow cook for 48 hours.
Let me tell you, the house will smell so good. Everyone thinks it's our dinner. So I better cook something good for dinner the next couple of nights.

48 hours later.
We (Kaitlin and I) removed the larger stuff like the bones and such.
We used a strainer to pour the liquid through to remove any of the smaller stuff.

Doesn't that broth look great!!!

We pour the broth into a pitcher making it a little easier to pour into the hot jars we have ready to fill.

My beautiful helper - Kaitlin

I am placing the jars into my pressure canner.

Got the first batch in the canner.
Processing for 20 minutes.

What didn't fit in the canner, I put in the oven to keep it all warm.

First batch is done.

Doesn't it look pretty?!

All the broth jars are done.
18 pints, 48 hours to cook with 1 days worth to process.

CANNING PINTO BEANS & BLACK BEANS
I soaked my beans overnight with some ACV.

The next morning.
My black beans almost didn't have enough room. I will need to remember that for next time.

I got all the pinto beans strained and rinsed.
I put them into the hot jars.

I added boiling water over them.

I did add salt to each jar.

The beans will need to be pressured canned.
I got the first batch in and 2 jars didn't fit. I kept them in the oven to stay warm.

Next, I did the same thing with the black beans.
The only difference was I used some jelly jars.
I like to have black beans and I just need a small amount because not everyone wants them too.

Added boiling water and salt too.

My kitchen has been busy.

Check out my canning burner.
It's super cool!

Added the black beans that didn't fit either.
It's gonna take 4 batches to get all the jars processed.
It will take longer than the broth did.

All the pinto beans are done.


All the black beans are done.

Beans are done!
11 pints of pinto beans
8 pints, 3 jelly jars of black beans

In between the pressure canning I had to make bread.
The girls covered dinner for the family.
XOXO girls!

Another great day on the homestead.

We got more snow and ice!

Tim clearing off the solar panels.
Got make the power!

Skylar and Kaitlin shoveling the path again.


CANNING CRANBERRY JUICE!
I had several bags in the freezer.
I found this recipe to make cranberry concentrate juice.
Why not!

I got out my big stock pot and poured them all into the pot.

Added water to cover the cranberries.
And cooked them until they split open and juiced up.

Next, I strained them into a cloth. I just want the juice.

The longest process is leaving this to hang for 2 hours.

Side note: I am saving the contents in the bag for another canning project.

Once it strained, I put it back on the stove to heat it up to 190 degrees. Then I ladled it into the hot jars.

*The recipe calls for sugar to be added in this step. *
*I didn't add the sugar*

Once again my beautiful Kaitlin helped me get the jars cleaned and seals and rings put on.

I pulled out the pot to water bathe them instead of the pressure canner.

I water bathe them for 15 minutes each batch.

10 pints of concentrated cranberry juice.
This will make 5 1/2 gallons of juice.

That is a puurdy color!

I had one jar that I didn't water bathe. So, Kaitlin and I added that pint to a 1/2 gallon jar, added some sugar. Stirred that up real nice and added water to top it off. We poured ourselves a glass of cranberry juice. Well that was mighty good!


CANNING CRANBERRY SAUCE
Remember the left over stuff I strained to make the cranberry juice?
I put it a bowl and in the refrigerator. Well, I need it to make the cranberry sauce. I placed it in the stock pot. I got it hot and added 4 cups sugar and let it cook slowly. It smells so good in my house. 

We have never had cranberry sauce before. I know that sounds crazy but neither side of our family has served them. I thought why not try it? I am adventurous enough to try it!

I decided to put them into jelly jar size so it was a little amount to try at a time. And a whole lot of praying that they like it.


I put them in the pot to water bathe for 15 minutes.


16 jelly jars of cranberry sauce
One jar isn't in the picture. 
We are having that jar served with our dinner. 

We did try the sauce with our dinner - super good!


No comments:

Post a Comment