Wednesday, February 27, 2019

2 NEW ROOSTERS!

I can't believe with all the roosters we have had. I had to buy two roosters. Last summer I sold half of my chicken flock. That included all of my extra roosters. I planned on keeping 4 free ranged roosters not including silkie and banty roosters. One of the four was my main rooster. 

With all that being said, I lost 5 roosters with the winter weather we have been having. This left me with one rooster and he was never at the top. He barely hangs out with any of the hens. That's a huge problem if you are needing fertile eggs.

Now that comes down to, I am desperate for a rooster!
So, I had to buy an adult rooster!!
Most people give them away.

Meet rooster #1
He is a Spangles Hamsburg Rooster.


Rooster #2
Americauna/Barred Rock Cross

His first night here wasn't a fun one for him.

I ended up putting him in a stall by himself.
Someone here doesn't like him. He got the worst end.

Gave him some medicine and cream for his injuries.
Nothing time won't heal.

After a several days, I decided to let him out of the stall.
He is looking good. Let's just see how he does now.

Look who was at my door.
Yep, that new rooster. He is such a big baby.
Kaitlin and I took him back over to the chicken yard. We decided since he was having a fit regarding Hope (our LGD), we would keep him in the stall over night.

The next morning I let him out of the stall. Things looked good so far. Kaitlin and I had some errands to do that morning. Afternoonish rolled around and we couldn't find that darn rooster when we came home. That darn rooster!
We checked everywhere around the houses, barn front and middle pasture. Not noticing anything to make us go farther into the back pasture. I remembered I told him I was leaving and will be back. So I called out to that pain in the butt rooster. 
Guess What???
 He answered me!!!
 He was in the woods by our driveway. Yep, must've been looking for me since I didn't answer the door. 

So again he goes back in the stall. This time I decided to give him some friends.

Just for the record, I left in him the stall for 4 days and 3 nights.
Finally the day came to let him and his lovely ladies out. He seems to be handling himself with the mean guineas and ducks. Poor Rooster! I was worried that night when I went to check on him, it was well past dark. So grateful he did put himself back in the hen house and was roosted. I did notice that his face had more injuries. I decided to leave him there since he roosted high and was with other hens. No point of pulling him out now. He is one that I will have to keep a eye on.

No comments:

Post a Comment