Friday, September 27, 2019

WHOLE CHICKEN #2

On our farm we raise our own meat chicken. We raise about 200 meat birds for the year. Not all for ourselves. We part some for us and keep some whole. We do sell the rest. You welcome to check out our farm website at Burnt Fork Farm.

Lots of questions "What to do with a whole chicken". I will will be putting out recipes of what I do with them. You are welcome ask questions or share what you do in the comments or email me.
This is how we package our whole chickens.

I put the whole chicken in a pot with water.
(I do remove the wings before cooking)

I add:
Tons of salt about 3-4 tablespoons
I add about a 1-2 tablespoons of each of the following:
garlic powder
oregano
thyme

I let it cook for about 2-3 hours. Basically until the meat wants to fall off of the bone.

This is the what it looks like done. We are letting it cool before we remove the meat from the bones.

My sweet child (Kaitlin) offered to de-bone the chicken for me.

Chicken Wraps with Bacon
Since the chicken is already cooked your meal is almost ready.
I love days like this.
I cooked up some bacon earlier  and made some homemade ranch.
(recipe at bottom)

Take a spoonful of ranch and smear on tortilla, put lettuce on, pile chicken and add bacon.
Nothing is more simple than that.

We used the left over chicken and made chicken quesadillas. We make this one a lot. It is one of our favorites and we always have what we need on hand for this. I buy the big bag of tortillas (40) and big bag of colby jack cheese. And wala, we have almost instant dinner. We serve it up with some sour cream and some pico de gallo.

Homemade Ranch

1/2 cup Mayo
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup Buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Dill
1/2 teaspoon Parsley
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Pepper

Blend together and refrigerate.



More recipes to come, stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment