Wednesday, September 18, 2019

PLANTAIN & JEWELWEED SALVE

Fall is approaching us and I have been needing to get some salve made. Before we can start I need to make a oil infusion. That's infusing the plant oil into the olive oil. They are different methods of the infusing. Today I am using the oven method.
 Let's get started!

~~~ Plantian ~~~
I grabbed a huge handful of Plantain in the yard.
Gave the a quick rinse.

I layed them out on a towel to dry.

Next I roughed them up with my hands and put them in a pint size jar.

Next I added olive oil to cover all the leaves.

While I am making plantain I need to make some Jewelweed too.

~~~ Jewelweed ~~~
These I collected and dried already.
So I just grabbed enough to fill half way in the jar.


Added olive oil to cover the leaves.

I did heat the oven to 300 degrees and turned it off before putting the tray of Plantain and Jewelweed in it.

Jewelweed is on the left 
Plantain is on the right

Before the infusion starts.

This will take several hours.
So do something else and let the oven work for you.
I actually went and did my grocery shopping. 

It's done. Look at the color!

It is a little harder to see in this one.

Next strain out the oil from the leaves.
I did this with each jar.

Place amount you want, I used about 3 ozs. of Plantain and added about 1 tablespoon of beeswax. Stir until it is melted.

Pour into jars.

I only wanted one jar of jewelweed salve.
I used about 1 1/2oz of oil-infused jewelweed with about 1 tablespoon of beeswax.

Stir it and wait for wax to melt.

Pour into jar. 

Once the salve is hard, label it.

Uses for Plantain Salve:
This is good to put on for  bug bites, stings, scratches, minor wounds, rashes and dry, irritated skin and more.

Uses for Jewelweed Salve:
It is a natural remedy for poison ivy and poison oak.
 It has also been used as an agent to promote blood flow, for post childbirth and joint pain, bruises and swelling, and as an antidote to fish poisoning.

 I am not a doctor nor claim to be. This is what I make and use for my family. Just want to share with others who might be interested in alternative medicine than the modern medicine. Also, do your own research.


No comments:

Post a Comment