Sunday, March 31, 2019

LICORICE COUGH SYRUP!

Kaitlin has been so sick for several days. Maybe it's been a week. 
She has a hard time taking medicine so I have to be careful with what I give her. She prefers the medicine I make. I love making it but sometimes the stuff I need for it is hard to find. I have to go to town and look for them or order them online. Once I have them, I have to make it. That isn't bad but it takes time, sometimes weeks, to make this stuff. I have some things made already. But this beautiful daughter comes down with something else. I have to research and go find the stuff. But in all seriousness I love doing it. I just wished I had more of the supplies. Baby steps. 

~~ Licorice Cough Syrup~~
What we need is:
1 part Licorice Root 
1 part Mullein Root 
1 part Cherry Bark
Honey (1 cup per 1 pint of liquid) 
Filtered water ( 1 qt per 2 ozs of herb)
Clean jar to store it in.

Put all into a pot and let simmer on stove until liquid is half of volume. Don't let it boil. This process takes a little time.

Once this is done, strain the herbs from the liquid.

Measure the liquid and pour back into the pot. For each pint of liquid add 1 cup of honey. I used a little less than a half of a cup. I was warned that 1 cup would be too sweet. Heat on low if needed to get honey to mix. Don't heat over 110 degrees.

** I didn't have any cherry bark and I didn't wait for a mail order to come in. I went ahead and made the syrup with what I had available, as my daughter was down with bronchitis. I can add it in later.  *** Next time I make this I will use even less honey. My daughter says it's very sweet still. It tastes good and easy to take.

Add it to the jar and label it.
Take a teaspoon or so every couple of hours.
Keeps in refrigerator for weeks.

Just some extra notes:
 Licorice Root: It helps to thin out mucus, helps with nonproductive coughs and is antibacterial.
Mullein Root: It helps managing respiratory, asthma and coughs.
Cherry Bark: It helps with colds, whooping coughs, bronchitis and other lung problems.
Honey: It is antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal and helps to build the immune-system.


No comments:

Post a Comment